Henna

Henna (Lawsonia inermis) is a flowering plant. Henna is a tall shrub or small tree. It produces a red-orange dye molecule called lawsone. This has been used to dye skin, hair, fingernails, leather, silk and wool.

In India, henna is used as fresh leaves rather than as dried powder. It’s used in various festivals and celebrations by women and children to make desingns on their hands. It is left on overnight. When it gets dried it leaves a bright red or reddish brown design on the hands, which makes the hands appear beautiful.

Henna has many traditional and commercial uses, the most common being as a dye for hair, skin and fingernails.

Henna has been followed for centuries as the herbal treatment for the hair. It is also useful to control falling hair and dandruff. It promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss. It also conditions the hair. It has a cooling effect on the scalp.

Prepare henna in the following procedure, apply it on the hair, leave it for 1 hour and then wash it off. It not only cools the scalp but also gives good color to the hair.

Things needed for henna paste:
1 cup henna powder (available in any ethnic store)
1 tsp gooseberry powder (it gives nice black shade)
1 tsp black coffee or
1 tsp black tea
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup curd
10 drops oil

Henna Powder

Preparation:

Mix all of the above items together and leave it for 12 hours. Then apply the paste on the hair. One egg yolk also can be added at the end to make the hair smooth and silky. Leave it on the hair for an hour. Later wash the hair well with a good shampoo and dry it. This definitely gives a good feeling for the hair. As some drops of oil are added while making the paste, it makes even the dry hair smooth and silky.

Henna Paste

5 comments:

Kribha said...

wow... girl. You have awesome hair. I feel so jealous of you. I used to have good hair when I was under the care of my mom. Ever since I got married and came to US , I stopped applying oil and the other care I used to take. Anyway, I've lost so much hair and I could surely use all your tips.
keep up this great work and do post more.

zlamushka said...

wow, i love the henna mixture. do you think it would work on a whitey like me, too?

Unknown said...

Hi uma, henna is the best conditioner I have found till now, before that I used to apply hibiscus flower and leaf paste fresh from my mom's garden:) I just love those days when I was in complete form in taking care of my hair with my mom :)

KonkaniBlogger said...

Hey, nice post Uma..U have such good hair, am in awe :)...Nice info abt mehendi also. Will add tht egg next time to my henna mixture. Thanx..

Unknown said...

First time here....nice tips, its really very useful!
Give some tips for hair greying.....and how to avoid it!